13 Inspirational Quotes for Values-Based Living
Do you aspire to live by your values? When you’re focusing on values-based living, you’re driven by a deep, inner understanding of your beliefs and standards that drive your behavior. You know what your personal core values are and strive to live your life guided by them.
Everyone you relate to and whom you hold close and dear shares similar values to you. Everything you do, you try to fulfill based on your true values. Values-based living is about connecting to what’s really important to you. It’s about knowing what’s essential to you in order to live a life that’s meaningful and fulfilling for YOU.
Here are 13 inspirational quotes to remind and inspire you to live a values-based lifestyle so you stay connected with what is most dear to you.
13 Inspirational Quotes for a Values-Driven Life
1. “Peace of mind produces right values, right values produce right thoughts. Right thoughts produce right actions” – Mark Richardson
A left-arm spinner, Mark Richardson changed over from batting to bowling when he suffered from the yips. He mastered the art of holding his place at the crease and was one of the most admired players in the New Zealand team.
2. “I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values.” – Ellen DeGeneres
An outspoken and steadfast advocate for LGBTQ rights, Ellen DeGeneres is famous for her role as host of her own talk show. She began performing as a stand-up comedian in 1981 after doing various jobs selling vacuum cleaners, painting houses, and even being a legal secretary at one point.
3. ‘Living with integrity means behaving in ways that are in harmony with your personal values.” – Barbara De Angelis
Author of many self-help books focusing on relationships, Barbara De Angelis is an American relationship consultant, spiritual teacher, and personal growth adviser. She’s also a well-known TV personality. Read her book, "Soul Shifts: Transformative Wisdom for Creating a Life of Authentic Awakening, Emotional Freedom, and Practical Spirituality" as you travel on a path of personal growth.
4. ‘Your personal core values define who you are.” – Tony Hsieh
Responsible for developing the Zappos online shoe store, Tony Hsieh died in a pool shed that caught alight in November 2020. His death shocked the world as he was an advocate of corporate happiness. He strongly believed keeping employees happy was as essential as the customer’s happiness.
5. ‘Values are like fingerprints. Nobodies are the same but you leave them all over everything you do.” – Elvis Presley
Very little introduction is needed for the “King of Rock and Roll” though I wonder if that’s only because my parents spoke of him all the time as I grew up. Elvis Presley was a famous 1950s performer becoming a cultural icon of the 20th century.
6. ‘Maturity is learning to walk away from people and situations that threaten your peace of mind, self-respect, values, morals, or self-worth.” - Annonymous
Wise words that do make a lot of sense.
7. “Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny” – Mahatma Gandhi
An activist for non-violence reform, Mahatma Gandhi led the protest for India’s independence against British rule. His followers worshipped him, calling him “the great-souled one.” In 1930, he led the great Salt March which resulted in over 60,000 protestors, including Gandhi, being arrested.
8. ‘A mission statement is not something you write overnight but fundamentally your mission statement becomes your constitution, the solid expression of your vision and values. It becomes the criterion by which you measure everything else in your life.” – Stephen Covey
Author of the most popular self-help book, ‘The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”, Stephen Covey was also an influential keynote speaker in the business world. He developed a hip disorder in his teenage years, forcing him to stop playing sports and turn his attention to academics instead.
9. “Your core values are the deeply held beliefs that authentically describe your soul.” – John C. Maxwell
Having sold over 24 million copies, John C. Maxwell is a bestselling author. He’s also an inspiring speaker and coach as well as the founder of The John Maxwell Company. This non-profit organization is responsible for training more than 5 million leaders in 180 countries worldwide.
Read his book, "The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth: Live Them and Reach Your Potential" and discover the author's principles by which you can grow and thrive.
10. “You don’t have to live a lie. Living a lie will mess you up. It will send you into depression. It will warp your values.” – Gilbert Baker
Designer of the rainbow flag, Gilbert Baker was a staunch activist for the rights of the LGBTQ community. His flag became recognized worldwide as a symbol of gay pride. In 2015, the Museum of Modern Art ranked the rainbow flag along with the recycling symbol.
11. ‘A highly-developed values system is like a compass. It serves as a guide to point you in the right direction when you are lost.” – Idowu Koyenikan
This is one of the quotes that closely reflects my own personal feelings about having a deep understanding of your core values. Idowu Koyenikan is a well-known consultant who has empowered both organizations and individuals to transform themselves as they reached new levels. Author of “Wealth for All Africans: How Every African Can Live the Life of Their Dreams”, Idowu Koyenikan has inspired thousands to live life to the best of their ability.
12. “Remain true to your values. If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything.” – Frank Sonnenberg
Frank Sonnenberg is not only an award-winning author but also one of “America’s Top 100 Thought Leaders.” His book “Follow Your Conscience: Make a Difference in Your Life and in the Lives of Others,” reflects the author’s passion for personal responsibility and values. He believes moral character is everything.
13. “That is the ultimate question for all of us: do our actions reflect our values? Do our traditions reflect our beliefs? Do our purchases reflect our ethics? After all, what’s the point in having values if we don’t manifest them in our behavior?” – Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
An advocate for veganism, Colleen Patrick-Goudreau is a well-known speaker, author, lecturer, and podcaster. She talks passionately about living with compassion while being healthy at the same time. She’s also a popular vegan cooking expert, bringing to the table an array of recipes that don’t include any animal ingredients.
All my coaching clients know that my favorite session, as a life coach, involves exploring personal core values. I’m passionate about empowering my clients to discover and understand their own values so they can live a 100% life that is purposeful, meaningful, and exciting.
If you’re serious about living a values-driven life, contact me to start your journey of change. You won’t regret it!
Watch this inspiring video by James Franklin as he talks about core values.
This post was originally published on November 9th, 2021 and updated on November 25th, 2022.
* Any product links mentioned in this blog are "paid links."
** Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API