Me Time! The Importance of Self-Care
My daughter is a firm advocate for self-care and last week, when we met for coffee, we spoke at length about the importance of self-care. We all tend to forget ourselves when it comes to giving ourselves love, respect and honour. It seems so much easier to give to others. We think it’s being selfish, self-centred or even arrogant to love ourselves but if we do not give ourselves love, how can we honestly give love to others in a healthy and meaningful way?
Self-care is crucial for our physical, mental, emotional and soul health. Self-care grounds us. It brings balance, harmony and peace into our own lives, something that is not easy to find in our ever-crazy hectic lives. Think about it – when we are feeling calm, loved and safe we are more willing and able to show compassion and empathy towards others. By practising self-care, you are not only looking out for yourself but you are looking out for all the others that need your love, calmness and kindness.
With every client I work with, I strongly emphasise the importance of using self-care as a way of loving oneself. I encourage my clients to identify simple but effective ways of practising self-care on a regular basis. Self-care needn’t mean taking a long holiday (although there’s certainly nothing wrong with that!) nor taking a whole day off (if you do, just make sure that you don’t end up feeling guilty because there’s work to be done). Self-care can be as simple as running a hot bath using your favourite fragrant fizz balls, candles, soft music and shutting the door so that you can soak in bliss and silence for half an hour. It’s about choosing the healthy food, taking a brisk walk alone in a park, spending time in your favourite place.
I have been thinking about some of my favourite self-care practices and I thought I would share them with you here.
· Meditation – every evening I go into my Place of Wellness room and meditate. Meditation allows me to quieten my mind, soothe the anxieties that may have risen during the day and gives me a sense of grounding, calm and peace.
· Yoga – recently I have discovered yoga (better late than never!). Frankly, I am blown away by the tranquillity that yoga brings to me as well as the deep connection with my own body. I can feel my body responding, with joy, as I gently stretch it.
· Smoothies – I start my day with a fresh, healthy smoothie full of yummy fruits, vegetables, seeds and nuts. By feeding my body with healthy food I believe I am showing myself respect, honour and love.
· Walking – I love walking. I could walk for hours if I had the choice but even fifteen minutes is enough to lift my soul and raise my energy levels.
· Reading – Whenever possible, I dive into a book. This is one way I can give myself “me time” that allows me to escape from the outside world for a little while and rest my mind.
· Kinesiology – I recommend everyone finds a kinesiologist! Whenever my body, mind and soul need a bit of rejuvenation and balancing, I call on my favourite kinesiologist to sort me out!
· Smudging – we take on negative energy, often without even realising it. In order to cleanse myself of any negative energy that is sitting in my body, I give myself a regular smudge.
· Sitting in my garden – there is something very soothing about the energy of trees and when I can, I go and sit in my little garden full of trees, soaking up their healing energy.
· Spending time with special people - this also includes my dog! I have a small circle of very special people that feed my soul, either through their laughter, their magic energy or their love.
· Manicures and pedicures – bliss!
· Writing in my journal – my journal gives me permission to pour out all my emotions in a safe space. It also gives me a way to tackle problems and come up with solutions.
· Being alone – soaking in a hot bath, having a cappuccino by myself in a coffee shop, taking a day off work and doing my own thing at home. Alone time gives me breathing space to gather myself when life gets a bit too much!
· Respecting my values – this is a biggie for me and quite challenging at times when life happens. My values are important to me and they guide me on my pursuit to find a life that is true for me.
How do you practise self-care in your own life? Make a list and then choose to love yourself. You deserve it.